Common questions and answers to help your understanding

Can I be helped to access funding for the placement?

Yes, we can support you to contact your local Authority or NHS (CCG) funders.  This can take time and we will not be able to agree a move in date until its agreed. This will include a financial assessment which will determine who funds and at what percentage. There may be an expectation for a contribution to be made by the individual or their estate. This is covered in the financial assessment.

You may be funding the placement yourselves which is detailed in a contract between yourselves and Towerview Care.  If you would like to speak to someone regarding self funding please call Carla Adams our Registered Manager on 01283807422 ext 102 or email her at Carla@towerviewcare.com or you can speak to our Matron Karen Spooner on 01283807422 ext 103 or email her at karen.spooner@towerviewcare.com

My Dad / Mum is a fussy eater and I am worried that they won’t like the food?

Our Head Chef has developed our own varied restaurant-style dining menu, with meals to suit everyone. With specialist nutritionist and dieticians input we provide healthy meals to suit all tastes and preferences, including allergies, smaller meals packed with energy for those that require them. We offer home-from-home classics and special dietary requirements so there really is something for everyone. If someone has an allergy or specifically does not like something on offer there is always an alternative.

Throughout the day, tea, coffee and soft drinks and snacks are readily available, as well as our snack cart which also encourages people to make choices, helps with dexterity and promotes memories. To see a sample menu please click here

How many staff are onsite to look after my Mum/ Dad?

There is a  nurse on shift 24 hours per day supported by a skilled team of senior support workers and support workers.  These numbers vary on the number of people residing in the home and their level of need.

Additional clinical support is provided by:

Our Matron, our Clinical Psychology team, Occupational therapist and GP. Also onsite are our highly skilled Support services team which is made up of  Maintenance, Kitchen, housekeeping and admin teams.

My Dad / Mum enjoy the garden.
Do you have grounds where they can sit outside?

Burton and Trent Court both have enclosed gardens with patios. There are raised beds for those who want to garden, a sensory garden for those who want a place to excite or calm their senses and places for those who wish to just sit back and relax. 

I want to see the home in action.
Can I just turn up to have a look round?

Anyone is welcome to visit Towerview Care at any time we will always attempt to facilitate your visit and show you all aspects of the home.  We pride ourselves on being lived-in, the people who reside here have freedom of movement and making each room their own.

My Dad / Mum enjoys trips out. Do you organise anything?

We have a full activity programme designed by our Activity Coordinator who focus on a range of activities for example day trips and outings.  We also have a schedule of around seasonal activities, birthdays and we all love a good party.  Our other activities are gardening, singing, craft activities or therapeutic activity for people that need more sensory based pursuits. All activities are bespoke and can be done on a personal basis or in small groups.

Can I leave money to pay for haircuts, trips outs, etc?

The administration office holds accounts for each person to have a small amount of money for any anything they require additional, such as newspapers, chiropody, dry cleaning or personal items they can be purchased on a receipt system.  Most people leave approximately £20 a month with an arrangement as to whether toiletries should be bought by the home or if relatives will supply.

My Dad / Mum is shy. Do they have to mix with the other residents?

Residents of varying needs are helped to integrate within the home on an individual basis.  We acknowledge that person-centred care treats people as individuals and for some people their personalities require specific interventions.  We have quieter areas within the homes and the use of personal bedrooms to ensure that communal living is at the level that people can cope with.  Our activity coordinator and individual assigned key-workers will assist your relative in any way they need to integrate with others.  Risk assessments do exist around who people spend their time with and our integration is developed.

My Dad / Mum suffers from severe dementia. Do you have the capacity to handle them?

Towerview Care is a specialist home that cares predominantly for people with challenging behaviour and often the most severe presentation of dementia.  Everyone is individually assessed by our Matron who then discusses with our Registered Manager to ensure that we can meet their needs.

Are you welcome to visit anytime?

Towerview Care has an open house policy but would ask relatives, families and friends to be considerate around busy times in the home, bed time routines and meal times etc. Just as you would be when visiting any other friend or family member.  

Are the staff appropriately trained and able to cope with complex illnesses?

All staff at Towerview Care have training and experience in the management of people with complex care management needs and dementia.  Most of our staff hold an NVQ qualification in health and social care or are indeed working towards one.  Mandatory training within the home exceeds the national minimum standards focusing on challenging behaviour and dementia as a priority knowledge.  Best practice would also include additional learning in the management areas of moving and handling, infection control, specific mental health conditions, diabetes, Parkinson’s, epilepsy, the use of therapies, continence and many more.  All staff have a training development plan and aspire to internal promotion once knowledge is gained.  All staff are shadowed by a senior member of staff on commencement of employment and given a thorough induction period to settle into their role.

Can you personalise your own bedroom including furniture and bedding?

We support and enable everyone to make this their home, through personalising their surroundings. It’s not just about bringing a few choice items with them, we want people to truly make this their home. We encourage this with decorations and furnishings to make their rooms as comfortable and familiar as possible. We aid everyone to bring personal mementos and furniture, as long as the layout gives us space to nurse in, we’ll do our best to make rooms as homely and familiar as possible. 

What is basic furnishing within the rooms?

Towerview Care provides an appropriate bed, wardrobe and chest of drawers.  Wardrobe space, bedside cabinet, a chair and en-suite bathrooms with showers.  Additional to the en-suites are bespoke aids such as handrails, toilet seats, etc.  All rooms include a wall-mounted TV, curtains, bedding and matching towels.

Are all the bedrooms en-suite?

All bedrooms within the homes have a wet room en-suite which includes showering equipment and seating, vanity unit, sink and mirror.  These are open but can have a lock attached if health and safety risks are present.

If you have any questions that have not been answered above please contact us on 01283807422 or email info@towerviewcare.com.

If you are interested in joining the Towerview Care team please click here to see what opportunities are available.